1) The first trick that I'd like to point out for readers is the nature of the Black Templar 'Power of the Machine Spirit'. Unlike our Space Marine codex chapter cousins, we actually have a deceptively potent vehicle upgrade in PotMS. It not only allows you to ignore Crew Stunned results and move its full 12" in that turn, but if you moved 6" or less in a turn and you are Crew Stunned/Shaken, it will shoot the gun for you! The 5th edition SM codex PotMS only allows it to shoot for you. You may say "So what?". However, you can discount the BS2 by giving this upgrade to a beast of a tank and avoid it from getting chain stunned. This vehicle is the Vindicator. I'd imagine numerous SM players groaning when their precious Vindicators get a glancing hit in the first turn and continually for the rest of the game, preventing it from firing. Because the Demolisher Cannon has a 24" range, you need to move full bore the first turn to get into range and pop smoke. Even IF they manage to hit you and immobilize/shake/stun, you will be able to fire your "Pie of Death", where the BS2 is minimally useful with the new blast rules. Try to take these guys in threes to give your opponent target prioritization issues, and I guarantee you will kill their equivalent in points.
2) Righteous Zeal. Everyone's favorite special rule. Who doesn't like running forward after taking shooting casualties? Except when that means running into an ambush and getting gunned down before being able to do anything. No Chaplains? Easy fix. When you pass your test and your opponent has laid a bait squad in front of it forcing you to consolidate in its direction, but you know it would be bad ju ju to do so, do me a favor. Roll your dice to see how far they moved. Then slightly nudge each of your models in the direction of that squad. Problem solved. The consolidation rule allows you to move UP TO the roll scored on the dice, but it doesn't force you to. So, save yourself the hassle and move the appropriate amount as needed. :)
3) Never leave home without the Holy Orb of Antioch. Ever. This piece of gear is the consumate MEQ killer. Provided you don't blow your blast roll, this thing can take out 4-6 marines before even charging into a fight! Wounds on a 2+ with AP3? Yes please!
4) Do you like the idea behind Drop Pods? Well, I do too. If you decide you want to field an army with drop pods, try and give them the Deathwind Launcher weapon upgrade. Facing a horde army? No problem! With a large blast template with Str 5, AP6...you're bound to kill something. And against Orcs, a lot of things. Not only that, but you can always shoot both your storm bolter and deathwind launcher provided its undamaged. Not bad for 20 points.
5) Are you running a mechanized rhino rush army? Upgrade them to include Extra Armor and Smoke Launchers. Why? When you move your first turn full bore, pop the smoke. When they get shot, the smoke launchers cause any penetrating rolls to become glancing hits instead! That means the only way you're not going to get at least one more turn of full movement is if they roll a 6 on the vehicle damage chart (Immobilized)! 5th Edition has been good to the rhino rush army list. :D
Think I'm missing something or want to comment on this article? Post a comment!