Con of the North 2011 (CotN) is being held February 18, 19 and 20 at the St. Paul East Holiday Inn. Events this year include the 10th anniversary 40K Rogue Trader Tournament (sponsored by The Source), the CotN Painting Contest, and various miniatures games and open gaming throughout the entire weekend.
Miniatures systems being run include Warhammer 40K, Warhammer Fantasy, Battlefleet Gothic, Classic BattleTech, Lord of the Rings, War of the Rings, Uncharted Seas, Silent Death, Starship Troopers, Legends of the Old West, Legends of the Rising Sun, Gladiator Wars, Song of Blades & Heroes, Flying Lead, Fear and Faith, and many more.
The events listed below are specifically those being run by the Terrain Specialties group. Additional miniatures events run by other judges appear in the events book and online. Pre-register for CotN by January 5th, 2011 and you can register for the entire weekend for $25. This cost includes entry into the Rogue Trader Tournament. And this year you can once again register, select your events, and pay online. Otherwise you can register onsite at the convention. For complete registration details and forms visit www.conofthenorth.org
Annual Con of the North Painting Contest
Terrain Specialties presents the CotN 2011 Painting Contest, with prizes provided by The Source Comics & Games. Enter your favorite painted gaming figures and show off your painting skills! Voting will be done on a ballot system by your fellow convention attendees. Categories include: Sci-Fi Unit, Fantasy Unit, Historical Unit, Single Figure, and Open Category. For complete contest guidelines see the Con of the North event book or www.conofthenorth.org
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 18
Games Workshop Bring and Battle
(Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K)
Bring your painted Warhammer 40K and Fantasy army, grab an opponent and spend the evening battling on themed tables provided by Terrain Specialties. You can join in this event at any time throughout the evening and play one-on-one, multiplayer mega-battles or Apocalypse games. A great opportunity to test your 40K army before Sunday’s Rogue Trader Tournament.
(Zombie Skirmish Home Rules)
Well, our ride is trashed, we're surrounded by zombies, and the supposed safe zone is still at least a block away. Smile, it's all down hill from here! Zombie Gauntlet is back for its second gore soaked year. Can you survive the gauntlet? All figures provided.
Oda Nobunga against the Ikko-ikki
(Warhammer Historical - Legends of the Rising Sun)
The Buddhist-based Ikko-ikki resistance are a constant thorn in the side of Daimyo Oda Nobunaga's rule. Oda has assembled his loyal Samurai and Ashigaru with the intent of laying siege to an Ikko-ikki monastery-fortress and ridding himself of another Ikko-ikki stronghold. Come play in a 28mm skirmish game playing either on the side of Oda and his Samurai or with the Ikko-ikki and their allies. All figures provided.
Across the Somme 1, The Battle for France 1940
After the Allied evacuation at Dunkirk, the German army was reorganized for the second phase of the campaign in France, known as the Battle for France. The French and British divisions prepared for the coming assault by using several formidable river lines as points of defense. One of these was the Somme river. On the German right flank was von Bock's Army Group B, with the 5th and 7th Panzer Divisions. The French lacked mechanized forces to counter the expected panzer attack, so changed their defensive posture into a series of strong points. Some of the first troops engaged by Rommel's 7th Panzer Division were the tough soldiers of General Sechet's 5th Colonial Division. All figures provided.
Super Happy Raceway to Fun
Come test your mettle in the newest rage to hit Solaris VII, the game planet! Race your team of two mechs around the track to victory as you compete against the teams of the other Inner Sphere houses. Battle enemy mechs and other nasty surprises to reach the finish line. Glory awaits those pilots with the skills to survive and win! All figures provided.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 19
40K Capture the Flag
The Key to the Gate
Admiral Tarok, servant of Chaos, has learned of a powerful Webway gate on the planet Safeton and maneuvered his fleet to capture the planet. However, the Eldar who guard the planet and the precious gate will stop at nothing to ensure that the forces of Chaos do not gain access to the Webway. All figures provided.
Games Workshop Open Gaming
(Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy)
Terrain Specialties will provide multiple tables of themed terrain and you provide your own army to play against other GW gamers. You can join in any time throughout the time slot and play one-on-one, multiplayer mega-battles or Apocalypse games. A great opportunity to test your 40K army before Sunday's Rogue Trader Tournament.
Operation Dragoon: Southern France, August 1944
(WWII: Arc of Fire)
During Operation Dragoon, near the French city of Montelimar, the advancing US 36th Division threatened to cut of the German retreat towards Lyon. To stabilize the situation, local German command launched counter attacks against the US forces using the 11th Panzer and elements of the 19th Army. Both sides committed increasingly larger forces to battle in an attempt to gain the upper hand. All figures provided.
Shootout at Cotton Gulch
(Warhammer Historical – Legends of the Old West)
Tensions are running high in the town of Cotton Gulch as outlaws, lawmen, vigilantes and cowboys descend on the town, each with their own agenda. Sure as shootin there’s gonna be gunfire as the groups confront each other on main street. Take control of one of the provided posses and try to stake your claim as the baddest hombres to ever set foot in Cotton Gulch. All figures provided.
Maximum Overdrive – Maximum Carnage
(Axles and Alloys)
The wasteland echoes with the roar of engines, squealing tires, and the sound of weaponry as drivers pilot their armed and armored cars in a deadly high-speed battle for supremacy. Axles and Alloys is a fast-paced and easy to learn automotive combat game. Choose your vehicle and enter the battle in this high octane free-for-all. All figures provided.
Across the Somme 2, Assault on Quesnoy 1940
The German attack on southern France faced a different defense then the early campaign in France. The Allied forces formed a series of strongpoints rather than a continuous line with mechanized reserves. Rommel and his 7th Panzer quickly adapted to this new defense tactics, taking his armor and many vehicles across country and avoiding towns and other strong points. The by-passed French positions were isolated and then attacked by the following infantry units. The village of Quesnoy blocked one of the major routes that Rommel needed to secure his supply line, so an assault on Quesnoy was imperative. 7th Panzer's 25th Regiment and 37th Panzer Reconnaissance was given the task of wresting the Quesnoy from the tough and determined French 5th Colonial Division. All figures provided.
Nova Cat forces help hunt down and destroy the Smoke Jaguars in this Clan v Clan scenario. All miniatures and record sheets provided. Some BattleTech experience suggested, but not required. All figures provided.
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 20
40K Rogue Trader Tournament
The annual Con of the North 40K Rogue Trader Tournament celebrates its 10 year anniversary! Each player will receive a unique 10th anniversary item to mark the occasion. This will be a 24 player, 3 game tournament using 1850 point armies constructed under the Standard Mission Organization. This tournament features trophies and prizes provided by The Source Comics & Games. As this popular tournament traditionally fills up, pre-registering is recommended.
• This is a 3 game tournament using 1850 point, single detachment armies constructed under the Standard Mission Organization. The same army must be used for all 3 games. Select tables may use special terrain rules.
• The first round game begins at 10:00 am sharp. Players should check-in between 9:00 am – 9:45 am. Participants in the tournament will play in all 3 games. Each game is 2 hours long.
• Players should bring 3 objective markers, each based on an approximately 25mm - 60mm size base. Claiming and contesting objectives will be handled per standard 5th Edition rules.
• Players must bring an army roster sheet for their army & also turn in a copy when checking in.
• Armies must be created using lists from the appropriate current edition 40K Codex books. Newer publications and official Q&A clarifications take precedence over previously published lists.
• Special characters may be used. Apocalypse datasheets may not be used.
• The army must be made up of Games Workshop (Citadel, Marauder, Fanatic or Forge World) miniatures. You must use models that are representative of the race. For example, if you are playing Space Marines you must use Space Marines models. Models must appear on their appropriate sized base or some configuration that takes up an equal amount of space.
• What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG). If a model is armed with an item, it must be shown on the figure. Grenade upgrades for squads are an exception to this rule. Models for army list choices that are not yet available must be converted.
• Every model must be painted. Models must have at least 3 colors on them to count, primer only is not acceptable.
• You must bring all the materials you will need to play including: dice, measuring device, templates, models, and any rules that you will be using.
• Each player is responsible to bring a copy of their army’s rules and any FAQ they will be using.
• You must conduct yourself in a manner that will not bring the hobby into disrepute.
• Any updates to these Rules and Guidelines may be seen online and question can be posted at the Terrain Specialties Forum at: s15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/
or the Yahoo Group at: groups.yahoo.com/group/TerrainSpecialties/
• Questions can also be sent to: ConOfTheNorthRTT@yahoo.com