Fortunately, 99% of all units have duality built in so DE players will at least have no problems building balanced, all-comers lists.
- The Flickerfield vehicle upgrade is very nice. It confers a 5+ invulnerable save upon a vehicle which as taken it. While out in the open, this upgrade may save the vehicle's life. I would imagine there would be very limited times where this wouldn't be taken.
- I envision the Voidraven Bomber and/or the Razorwing Fighter taking up quite a few list's Heavy Support slots. I know they'll be doing it for me. Both have massive amounts of firepower, though they are decently expensive (145 points each), both have the ability to wipe entire units/vehicles off the board each turn. The Voidraven has more armor than the Razorwing and is more suited to eliminating vehicles. However, the Razorwing has a better shot at killing infantry, while still being able to destroy vehicles with its two Dark Lances. At the moment, I'm torn.
- Personally, I think the Reaver Jetbikes are really, really good. They lost one to their armor, but they still are able to go turbo-boost and gain the 3+ save that way. Not only that, they are allowed one Heat Lance per 3 bikes (18" Str 6 AP 1 Lance, Melta) that give them awesome chances at killing vehicles. Side armor is no problem for these 36" moving crazies. On top of that, they have something called Bladevines that allow them to hit any unit they turbo-boost over with D3 Str 4 AP - hits (each bike). A good way to quickly thin down the herd while you're moving. ;)
- Incubi are much, must better now. Cheaper by 3 points, improved leadership, and the ability to pimp the unit out by buying a squad leader (Klavex) with Demiklaives and Onslaught. Put them in a Venom, and you're set to go. Even a basic squad will kill on average 5 MEQ on the charge. Not bad. My inclination is to leave them basic.
- The Venom transport is amazing. Built in flickerfield with the possibility to gain two splinter cannons (12 poison shots a turn)? Sign me up. Remember, the DE codex says that poison weapons count as defensive weapons, so you may always fire them unless going flat out. ;)
- The troops slot has some fun things going on. I'm just not sure how I'm going to fit them in with all of the fun and exciting stuff going on in the other slots. This is the biggest difficulty I'm facing at the moment.
I'll post up my preliminary list here probably today sometime. Remember, I'm just as new at all of this as everyone else, so it will take some play-testing and tweaking before these lists become optimized. I may have to throw it out altogether, but we'll see. :)