- Our original Tournament Organizer (TO) got sick this week, so was unable to organize the tournament. He was the one that wanted to go with the Nova-style tournament. Unfortunately, he got sick early in the week and I didn't know this...so replaced him with a store employee that only occasionally plays 40k. Not a good thing.
- The scenarios were crazy bunk. They were completely unbalanced, changed pretty much all the rules of 40k, and made it impossible for mechanized armies to win. You will see the stupid when I post them up later.
- In each game, I played the absolute worst opponent that I could have played. If not for the scenarios, I would have had a decent shot at the win each game. Instead, they made my opponent's lists amazing.
- After I deployed AND moved my forces in game one, turn one...I reminded my opponent that the Black Templars codex uses the 4th Edition rules. My opponent disagreed and he called the TO over to make a ruling. The new TO ruled in favor of my opponent, much to my complete shock. He said that I had to force upgrade my codex to 5th Edition, since pretty much all the other chapters had been re-released. I asked if I had could then edit my entire list to account for the new "reduced" prices of things, but he said no. He also said I had to use 'Kill Them All', 'Righteous Zeal', and other various dumb 4th Edition rules that we're forced into using even though he was making me use 5th edition rules for all wargear. Completely ridiculous and hypocritical. So with my smoke launchers pretty much useless, and me being in the open, I got creamed...but more on that later.
- We only got two hours to play our games. Most standard tournaments allow 2.5 hours per game. Two hours doesn't give you any lee-way if playing a slow opponent, and can be difficult to finish a full game even with the quickest/most knowledgeable of players.
Also of note is that I'll be finishing all of the other updates within the week now that my tournament is done. So that means my competitive vs casual gamer article (and off-shoot list building article), Marshal Wilhelm's guest articles, and how I would build low point BT armies. The last would be for primarily beginning players, or for people who do escalation leagues. :)